Ask an Author...being motivated

Posted by  | Thursday, August 20, 2009  at 10:22 PM  
Here is another reader question, "Any tips for inspiration, motivation, etc? Any particular verses/passages/ Christian non-fiction that have impacted any of you in a big way in this area? I'm tired of feeling like I'm always behind, but more, I'm tired of feeling like my work within the home is a burden."

I know what it is like to have a hard time being motivated, especially as a mom. Many times it seems like we are spinning our wheels and getting nowhere. We do the laundry, clean the kitchen, wash the dishes and POOF! There are more dishes and more laundry. It truly seems like a woman’s work is never done! And, we think to ourselves, “If it never gets done, than why should I put forth so much effort to do it in the first place,” right? Well, I think the best remedy for this lack of motivation is to remember who we are working for! Cleaning the house (and doing other household chores) to please our husbands and children is certainly good. I want to make my home a comfortable place for the people I love and that is fine. But, we are also to do our best because the Lord asks us to (Colossians 3:23 is the first reference that comes to mind). Another way to look at working in the home is to remember that housework can be servanthood. John 13:12 says, “So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, 'Do you know what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.'"
What if I look at housework as "washing feet"? That really changes my perspective! How dare I complain about cleaning up these wonderful children whom I love and who love me back! I have a great opportunity in my own home to be a servant to my husband and children and wash their feet, and this pleases the Lord only if I do it with a cheerful heart.

Now, how can we put this into practice and actually do our housework with a cheerful heart? I don’t have all the answers, but I recently finished reading a great book by Elizabeth George called, Life Management for Busy Women, Living Out God’s Plan with Passion and Purpose. It was excellent and she had a lot to say about organzing our lives so that we can serve the Lord and those in our families well. A few other small things that we can do to get motivated is to play lively and inspiring music while doing housework or to set a timer and clean for a specified amount of time (Leah mentioned this one in an earlier post). You’d be amazed how much you can accomplish in ten minutes when you are solely focused on one task! Hopefully these things will help. Pray and ask the Lord to help you be motivated to work diligently for Him and then roll up your sleeves and get started!

1 comment:

Paige said...

Thank you, thank you! I love all of these posts from "ask POH"! I especially am having a difficult time just folding the laundry that has been sitting in the basket for 4 days! With a new baby, I am trying to do it all (take care of baby, cook, clean) and I get frustrated occasionally. I am right where I need to be and joyfully so, but I am trying to make a routine. Patience is key right now for myself and my husband. I remind myself to enjoy this season of life with a 7 week old and the laundry will get folded---eventually! : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...