In God's Word this week

Posted by  | Monday, October 18, 2010  at 10:12 AM  
Confession time-since I have gotten pregnant with Finnling #3, my time in God’s word and prayer has been inconsistent. Okay, bare naked honesty—it’s been practically nonexistent. My best time for quiet time with the Lord is first thing in the morning, before the children wake up, and so many mornings I just cannot get out of bed before they do (my kids wake up at 7 every morning). Several weeks ago I had a two or three week period where I woke up between 6-6:15 every day, had a shower and read my Bible before the kiddos began to stir. Those were great weeks, because I spent quality time in the word of God and because my mood was better because the kids weren’t waking me up—I was dictating my wake time! But then something happened, and my good habit died, and so my Bible study has been sporadic.

The Lord gives grace to his children, and I am so thankful for the time in the word that I have! Over the past few months I have been reading through the Old Testament. In the summer, I set this grand goal to read through at least the OT before baby #3 comes along, and now I will be doing well to finish the Pentateuch. I am in the book of Numbers right now, specifically Numbers 6.

[Aaron's Blessing]
[22 ] The LORD spoke to Moses, saying, [23 ] “Speak to Aaron and his sons, saying, Thus you shall bless the people of Israel: you shall say to them,
[24 ] The LORD bless you and keep you;
[25 ] the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;
[26 ] the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
[27 ] “So shall they put my name upon the people of Israel, and I will bless them.”
(Numbers 6:22-27 ESV)

This beautiful, familiar blessing falls right in the middle of passages about the Nazirite vow, and offerings for the tabernacle, and indicates God’s blessing on all of his people (not just the Nazirites, who had been referenced immediately before this passage). The notes on the ESV Study Bible state that the word “Peace” does not indicate simply the English meaning of “lack of war”, but “total well-being”. How wonderful to seek and serve a Lord who gives us peace!

My pastor, Andy Davis, is currently preaching through the book of Hebrews, and I love that I am reading the Old Testament while he is preaching through this New Testament book (you can listen to his great sermons here, scroll down to find all of the Hebrews messages). Hebrews focuses on the supremacy of Jesus Christ over the angels, Moses, Mosaic Law, Melchizedek, and the tabernacle—what a perfect accompaniment to a study of the Pentateuch! As I have been reading through Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, and Numbers, I am continually reminded of my sinful nature, my inability to meet ‘God’s standards’, and the fact that I must daily rely on Christ, who died a perfect atoning death and was raised to a glorious resurrection-for His glory and for my salvation!

So that’s where I am! May I recommend a good study Bible as you read God’s word? I love the ESV Study Bible, and Broadman & Holman recently released the Holman Christian Standard Study Bible, which is also a good resource. As one last note in my rambling thoughts, I recently read the book, A Sweet & Bitter Providence by John Piper. This small, easy to read book walks through the book of Ruth with the Bible passages included in the text of the book itself. Though it is not a ‘typical’ Bible study with blank lines for you to respond to questions, it is wonderful way to study this Old Testament book that has a lot to teach us about sex, race and the sovereignty of God.

So what are you reading in God’s word? What has the Lord been teaching you about Him through your Bible reading?

1 comment:

Erin said...

Leah, Thanks for being so honest and transparent about your time in the Word! I think it does get harder to have the consistency and length of time in the Word with small children (especially when fatigued and pregnant...I'm due with our second on Saturday). I was trying to read through the Bible chronologically this year, but I'm finding it's going to take me two years. I'm studying Acts in Community Bible Study, and it's wonderful, but I don't always get it in every day. My best times are in the mornings, too, but it seems like naptime (which sometimes doesn't happen with a 2-year-old in a new big girl bed) is the best time for me right now....I can't imagine how my time with the Lord will look in a few days/weeks when I have two kids under 2 1/2!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...