Time in the Word for a New Mom

Posted by  | Tuesday, January 19, 2010  at 6:00 AM  
I really liked what Hollie had to say yesterday about her primary focus being in the Word. I whole-heartedly agree. When you are short on time or energy, it's best to go straight to the source - the Living Water.

After each of my boys were born, I found it hard to have one time in the day carved out and devoted to reading/studying. Their schedules fluxuated so much in the beginning, and most times I tried to sleep when they slept. I found what worked best for me to be in the Word was to pick one small book of the Bible and read it over and over again. For Samuel, it was Ephesians. For Joel, Colossians. I knew right where to turn each time I sat down to read my Bible. Sometimes I had time to read through the whole book. Sometimes I only made it through a chapter. But going back to the same book did two things for me: I never had to fret about what to read, and it really sunk in to me after reading it over and over for months on end. Sometimes our minds aren't the best when we're tired and also healing from the birthing process. Reading the same book over and over allowed God's Word to really sink in and settle in my mind.

If you are a new mama out there and you're feeling a little lost when it comes to spending time in the Word, I really encourage you to try this method and see if it works for you.

2 comments:

Amy said...

What a great tip, thanks!

Deborah said...

I'm not a new mama yet, but I'm in the throes of first-trimester exhaustion, so my "study" skills (as well as everything else requiring higher brain functioning!) are absent at the moment. I may try this method *before* I become a new mama ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...