Leah F's "lite" reading suggestions

Posted by  | Saturday, March 12, 2011  at 10:22 AM  
I love to read, and can easily be drawn into a book to the neglect of other things (like, say, laundry :-). I have always loved to read, and have wonderful memories of filling a tote bag to the brim with library books every week. My parents used to punish me by taking away my books. When I spent the night with my best friend, I took a book (or two) with me, and we read all night. Yes, I am that nerd.

So, I thought it would be fun to give you a list of books that I have enjoyed over the past couple of years. These are generally not educational, theological, or spiritual books (though those themes can be found in many of them). Most are novels. All have been read by me :-) Oh, and if you want to find a list of my favorite "reads" of 2010, check out my post here

Guernsey Potato Peel Pie and Literary Society--written as a series of letters, this book is a very engaging and unique read .

Kite Runner--I have wanted to read this for several years and finally did last year. The story of two boys from very different backgrounds in Kabul will move you to tears.

Seabiscuit and Unbroken--both of these books by Laura Hillenbrand are non-fiction works that read like fiction. I cannot recommend her enough! Seabiscuit is the story of a horse that defied all odds and captured the heart of America, and Unbroken is about a man who defied all odds and survived being shipwrecked and held as a Japanese POW. These are amazing stories!

The Elm Creek Quilt Series (start with The Quilter's Apprentice)--this series of novels revolve around a group of ladies who run a quilting retreat. Each book includes wonderful descriptions of quilts, and the author has published a couple of companion quilt pattern books as well :-)

The Mitford Years series (start with At Home At Mitford)--I will confess that I don't care much for Christian fiction, and so I dismissed Jan Karon's Mitford series before I read it. Then I picked it up 'just because' after Georgia was born, and I was hooked. Her books are very enjoyable, and highly amusing, too!

Lord Peter Wimsy mysteries (start with Whose Body?)--I love mysteries, and just this summer discovered Dorothy Sayers' Lord Wimsy. He is a delightful character who makes a hobby of solving mysteries--the novels are pure fun.

Mrs. Pollifax series (start with The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax) --More mysteries, this series is about a retired grandmotherly woman who decides in her retirement that she wants to be a secret agent. And through a series of implausible happenings, she becomes one--a good one!

Percy Jackson and the Olympians series (start with The Lightning Thief)--I will confess that I enjoy reading children's and young adult fiction, and this series is one of my favorite to date. It revolves around children who are demi-gods (half god, half human), and what happens to them. The writing is witty and amusing without being crass.

And what would the list be without some classics? If you haven't, you should read Jane Eyre, Count of Monte Cristo, anything Jane Austen, Vanity Fair, and The Moonstone.

One last thing--did you know that you can download an Amazon Kindle application for your computer, smart phone or IPad? That means that even if you don't have a Kindle, you can take advantage of free Kindle books and read them on your computer or phone!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...