Crockpot Rice

Posted by  | Tuesday, May 24, 2011  at 10:44 AM  
I love crockpot meals and use them quite a bit.  It is so nice to have the freedom to take a walk after naptime or go to the park instead of being stuck in the kitchen preparing an involved dinner.  I frequently have some sort of chicken dish, or a large pot of peans cooking.  We often like to have rice with our meals and although it can be cooked in the crock as well, I like to serve it on the side and not have it all mixed in.  I also didn't want to have to use a separate pan and come home early just to cook rice.   A few months ago I came up with a solution that worked great - boil in bag rice!  I use the wholegrain rice and simply submerge two bags into the crock right along with the other ingredients that are already mostly finished cooking.  Add some water if there isn't already enough cooking liquid in the crock.  Replace the crock lid and allow it to cook for an hour or so.  Voila!  Perfectly done rice that is nicely flavored by the cooking liquid and is contained in its own little bag so it can be served separately. 




1 comment:

Becky said...

Thanks for this idea...could you also post some of your favorite crockpot recipes? I'd like to use mine more but feel like I always get meat overcooked and it doesn't turn out well...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...