Leah F's Newborn Favorites

Posted by  | Saturday, January 8, 2011  at 9:02 PM  
My little girl, Eleanor, was born on Monday evening, so I am currently right in the thick of NEWBORN-ness! Below are some of my favorite things, but I must say, this list could change daily depending on my/Eleanor's sleep and the other kids' needs:-)

Bravado Nursing Bras--Meg and Leah both mentioned nursing tanks, and I love those as well, but you need a good nursing bra. I have not found a better nursing bra than the Bravado brand. They are pricey, but they last a long time and provide tons of support with and without underwire.

Lansinoh Ultra Soft Nursing Pads--I think these nursing pads are the softest disposable pads available. Sadly, they are hard to find--Babies R Us carries them in store, and you can buy them online. They are different (and softer) than the regular Lansinoh pads.

Aveeno Soothing Relief Cream Wash--All of my kids have sensitive skin, and even things formulated especially for babies makes them break out. I really like this Aveeno baby wash because it is thick and creamy and moisturizing, and my kids' skin love it! I would also recommend the Soothing Relief Moisturizing Cream for the same reasons.

Bobble Water Bottle--As a nursing mom, I get thirsty a lot! And if I don't get thirsty, I still need to drink or I will not be feeling well. The Bobble Water Bottle has a built in filter that allows me to use water from anywhere in it! You simply replace the filter every two months. LOVE it! Now if I could only keep it away from Georgia and Baxter, who think it is cool too...

Amazon Kindle, reading light, and Memory Moleskine--Middle of the night feedings are low-key, low-light affairs, but sometimes it is helpful to have something to read so you don't fall asleep too heavily! The Amazon Kindle is perfect for having multiple books at your fingertips, plus it is much easier to balance in one hand than a thick book. A small reading light is a must as well! This week I have not used my Kindle as much, but I have taken the time to review Philippians 1:1-6 during the middle of the night feedings, and that has been very helpful.

Granola bars/snack bars--Along with needing water, a nursing mom needs extra calories. I find that hunger strikes at random times (like 2 a.m.), and I need to have something quick and easy at my fingertips. In general I don't keep a lot of packaged food around, but at this early stage of nursing, I like to have a few granola bars/snack bars within reach for when the hunger hits. I am enjoying Kashi products right now, but that is a personal prefence.

Bulk diapers and wipes--We were blessed to have generous friends who gave us diapers and wipes that will keep us 'stocked up' for a little while. I intend to switch to cloth diapers in the future, but right now, disposable diapers are going on Eleanor since she is going through so many! Having LOTS of diapers on hand relieves the stress of trying to get to the store when you run out:-)

I feel like this post might be a little rambly, even for me, and I hope you don't mind! Many of you have shared what products worked for you, but we would love to hear more suggestions.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

One thing that I found--and at six months, still find-indispensable is a bouncy chair. My daughter refused to nurse, so I pump and feed her breast milk and supplementary formula from a bottle. When she was very little, I could pump while holding her--using a double electric pump with the accessories held in place by a sports bra with strategically placed holes. But as she got bigger, I couldn't do that, and I had to have a way to lay her down every time I pumped--20 minutes every 2 hours or so. She loves to be held and can only tolerate tummy time for 10 minutes or so, so putting her down to pump was very difficult until I started putting her in her bouncy chair right beside me, where I could lean over and touch her. She's almost outgrown her bouncy chair now, so I'm going to have to come up with a new solution--maybe move the jumperoo.

Meg said...

Thanks for the tip on nursing bras -- I've never found one that I loved so I am going to try out the Bravado ones you linked to!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...